About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Abstaining From Self-Injury

It's working!  I declared Friday my first day of abstinence from self-injury.  I'm living with no cutting or biting or pulling out my hair just like I live without alcohol.

Eventually, the challenges from stopping will surface.  When they do I plan to apply the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.  I'm not trying to over simplify.  I want to have a plan in place.

My mouth is still active but I'm not biting down.  I catch myself starting to do it then I quickly stop.  I'm noticing it when I'm a little stressed or my thoughts are taking over.

Just wanted to say it's day 3 and I'm doing okay.  Thanks to my therapist who got into my face a few times at my last session.  I heard you and now I'm doing something about it!