About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

When Innocent Words Trigger An Emotional Response

It happened about two weeks ago.  I was talking with someone about a topic I don't even remember.  What I do remember is the phrase she used, "All things considered..."  Once those words were spoken its like my brain couldn't move off how they related to what I was talking about.  In this case, I felt immediate anger and started defending myself.

She made an innocent comment.

I got triggered.

That means something she said or the way she said it or both sounded like something from my past that was not a good experience.  I felt that way a year and a half ago with my psychiatrist's nurse.  I basically exploded on her over the phone.  Even though I was direct and did not use swear words, it was clear I felt angry and I became defensive at some of what she was saying.

Because I value this current relationship I did not do an all out freak out.  I did not lose control nor did I say words that I'd later regret.  Instead, I told her why "All things considered," was not true in this instance.  All things had NOT been considered.  I took the phrase literally as I do most conversations and comments.  Was that the right thing to do?  I don't know.

The problem I'm having is I can see in my head the expression on her face.  When I react to being treated unfairly or having my life experience minimized, I speak directly with a lot of passion.  I'm looking someone in the eye when I'm talking so I'm taking in their facial expression, body language, etc..

She looked surprised and taken back at the same time.  I immediately toned it down figuring I might have gone a bit overboard in my reaction.  What I didn't know was whether or not I'd injured her.

During the last few days I've been struggling with eating too many carbs.  I'm going into my safe zone by trying to kill these emotions.  I'm not sure which ones they are yet.  Some sadness, regret and maybe anger against myself.

What I do know is it's difficult for me to manage an emotional response. Triggers are especially hard because they have warning signs I don't always recognize until it's too late.  Once my emotions are out the door, pulling them back in can be difficult.

When it was time to go, she asked if we were okay.  I think I said something like, "Not yet," because I was still trying to get a handle on what just happened.  I avoided seeing her last week.  We have some time set up for tomorrow.  I'm sure this will be discussed.

It needs to be discussed.

The question for me is....God, when innocent words trigger an emotional response, what do I do?