About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

One Year Ago - Alexian Brothers

One year ago today I admitted myself into the Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital for unrelenting urges to commit suicide and cut.  I'd reached the end of my rope.  A friend had been to this hospital and recommended it.  I trusted she knew what I needed since my regular hospital closed the behavioral health unit.

I cried.  I cried through all four interviews.
I was honest.  I told each of them that if I went home I would hurt myself.
I waited.  It took a few hours to get up to the unit.
I was confused.  They put me on the general psych unit instead of SIRS/ED.
I was assigned a psychiatrist.  His name is Dr. Taras Didenko.
I slept.  All I had to do was trust God that I made the right decision.

That first day was pivotal in my recovery.
I hadn't cut before I went into the hospital.  That was a miracle.
I did not attempt suicide before I went into the hospital.  That was a miracle.
In my head I was screaming for help.  That was a miracle.
I drove myself to get the help I needed.  That was a miracle.

One year ago today I was bursting into tears for no reason, despondent over the racing thoughts and urges to self injure and incapable of taking care of myself at home.

I prayed to God for the right program, the right doctor and the right therapist.  In a couple of days, God answered that prayer.

I'll share that journey tomorrow.

"Instead of feeling something, I felt nothing."

CLICK HERE TO VISIT ABBHH'S WEBSITE FOR SELF-INJURY