About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, July 19, 2014

List of Movies

When I was hospitalized, one of the suggestions I took with me was making a list of something to help get my mind back in order.  When I'm feeling like I need to hole myself up inside and my brain isn't able to think or read, I make an A-Z list of movies in my collection and pick out something to watch that suits my mood. Here they are alphabetically:

Amazing Grace
Basic
Collateral Damage
Dante's Peak
Erin Brokovich
The Fugitive
G.I. Jane
Happy Feet (First One)
Independence Day
J.A.G. (All 10 Seasons)
A Knight's Tale
Ladder 59
Moses
Night at the Museum
Oh, God (Both)
Platoon
Rambo (All 5)
Star Wars (All 6)
Transformers (All 3)
Under Siege (Both)
Volcano
What About Bob?

I have about 3-4 times more videos and dvds.  These are my favorites to watch. Sometimes after making this list, like now, I feel a little better.  My cat still has not come home.  It's been three days.  I'm more accepting that she has walked off to be with God or something happened to her which has brought her to the same place.

Outside cats are very hard to have.  They come to you from outside, they live with you but like to go outside. You get them flea collars and name collars in case anything happens to them. You give them kisses and pray they'll come home each day you let them out.

When they don't, you have this sinking feeling inside.  You're not surprised nor are you overly optimistic. You hope your kitty will be at the door but they're not.  You walk around your neighborhood calling their name, hoping for a little meow but it's silent.  There's no sign of your kitty so you go back home and pray some more.

I'm almost ready to say good bye to Kitten - that's her name.  I'm going to give her another couple of days. There's still a couple of places I can check and hang up a poster.  She deserves it.

I hope your day is going well.  If not, I hope you find a way to make it better, even if it's just for a little while.