About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Aaron's Death - Day 4

There's not much to write on this day because it was the day final decisions were made.

Aaron's mom and dad met with the doctor. All tests had been performed.  All measurements had been taken.  Every possible contingency had been considered.

There was no hope of any kind.

Aaron was brain dead.  He was blind, deaf, paralyzed from the neck down and in a permanent vegetative state.  He would never open his eyes, never walk, never talk, never have any motor skills at all.  His brain damage was severe and it was permanent without correction.

We had time to say our good-byes privately without interruption.  When one of us came out of his room with tears, no explanation was needed.  We are a family.

Later in the day, Aaron's mom and dad told us what was going to happen tomorrow.

They decided Aaron's organs would be donated - that's something Aaron would want.  Mid-morning he would be disconnected from the ventilator and brought down to the operating room.  When the organs were harvested he'd be brought back to his room before being transported to the funeral home.

If people wanted to be here in the morning, when all of this was taking place, that was okay.

Everyone went home that night knowing in less than 12 hours Aaron would be gone.