About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Self and Sickness

It's quite possible one of the reasons I'm out of sorts is that I don't feel well.  I stayed home all day, sleeping on and off.  I watched a few shows, ate some food and drank some liquids.

I don't mind not feeling well as long as I don't have a headache.  Yup, I've had a headache/migraine all day.  I took the meds but it was a temporary fix.  My head still hurts.

I want to be able to write but I cannot focus.
I want to be able to process yesterday's blog but I can't stay awake.
I want to be able to go outside but I can barely get up to get juice.

The "I wannas" are not winning.  Instead, I honor my body and my spirit by letting it rest.  Furthermore, I don't push it to do more than it can.

I used to.  I used to push it way past it's limit.  Then I'd get sicker and be out of commission longer.  It never helped.

I've learned through trial and error to take care of myself.  Even if it means saying, "No" to someone I love or something I enjoy doing.

Only I can make myself number one.  Taking good care of myself will in turn teach others how I take care of myself.  They will see the benefits.  Whether or not they agree with me isn't important.

This is the body God has given me.

It's my responsibility.