About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, November 25, 2013

Pulled Anxiety

I was going to be dog sitting for about three days.  I was having higher than normal anxiety.  It was concerning me because it was proving difficult to settle myself down.

I spent time trying to relax.  I told myself positive thoughts.  I knew I was going to a safe place because I'd been there before but still.  I felt high anxiety.

I spent a few moments pulling apart the feelings I was having instead of trying to cope with them as a bundle.  I found familiar feelings and then I found some surprising feelings.

I felt trapped - like I wouldn't be able to leave her house.
I felt lonely - like I wouldn't be able to see my kitties.
I felt scared - like I wouldn't be able to visit the safety of my home.
I felt vulnerable - like I wouldn't have the right food.

Once I was able to identify these feelings, I made a plan to take away these fears.

She gave me a house key and a garage door remote so there was no expectation of me staying there 24/7.
I told her I'd need to go home to check on my kitties and clean their kitty boxes.  This was met with great support.
I was able to not only go to my own home but also my sister's home to let out her dog.
I picked up some food from my house that would be simple and good tasting.

When I can push myself past the high level of anxiety and get to a place of basic thinking and functioning, I can make good choices that honor my commitment and benefit my self-care.

How about that????