About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, December 30, 2013

Pre-New Year's Eve


This is a phrase Agnes wrote on an index card then gave it to me as one of my affirmation cards. Agnes was one of the therapists at Alexian Brothers.  It's simple, direct and has a little bit of her in it.  It warms my heart.  It gives my self-esteem and confidence a boost of positive energy.

It's what I need as I begin to put down some goals for the New Year.  I've been meditating on the categories:  Spiritual, Mental and Physical.  I'm not including financial because the goals I have are already in place.

I've been reflecting on the sub-categories:  Reading, Bible study, writing my book, therapy goals, learning how to run and losing the 80 extra pounds I carry around.

I'm putting together some mental goals:  Read three books a month, Read the Bible in a year, write my book during the first three hours of my day, etc.

I visualize myself having great success with some scary hurdles that keep me stuck in negative patterns.  I want to break free of those patterns and replace them with positive ones.  I've done it in sobriety and cutting - I can do it with exercise and eating.

Some of the 2014 goals will need help and accountability from others.  I don't know which ones yet and I don't know who I'm going to ask.  Most of my friends are pretty busy.  I'm trusting God to lead this (and all of these) because He has put these desires on my heart.

I'm not sure I'll be blogging New Year's Eve.  I'll be spending a lot of time working on these goals. I hope to share what I landed on, perhaps on New Year's Day.

I encourage you to jot a few goals down.  Things that will bring you joy or reduce stress.  Even just a couple can increase good feelings that you have a purpose.  

Remember, God created you for a reason.  
It's time to let that reason out of the box!