About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, January 02, 2014

God Rebuilding Us

Have you ever asked God, "Where do You want me?  Please show me and I will go."

I know many people, myself included, who have earnestly prayed that prayer.  With intense emotion and a little bit of fear, those words have been uttered with the hope that it won't cost too much.  Too much money, too much commitment or too much change.

Why pray that prayer at all if the intent is to side step it?  Because my  heart longs to believe that someday I'll do it.  Without doubt, without fear of failure, without fear of what others will think of me.

All my life I've known God wants to do something with my life.  I've started and stopped many opportunities that presented themselves over the years.  None of them lasted.  At least, none of them that came with a regular salary.

It takes courage to ask God, "Where do You want me?"  Asking a question often means listening for a response.  Listening for a response means you might like it - or you might not.

Here's something I've been thinking about.  You know the saying, "If God closes the door, He'll open a window?"

What if He never wanted you to go into that house in the first place and we took matters into our own hands?

Did we pick the lock or shoot off the door knob or ram the door with a tree trunk?  I mean, how much of our self will is really running the show?

I'm just saying, maybe we should ask God if we're at the right house before we begin to think we know what He's doing in our lives.

Here's an example:

You think God wants you to be "here" because you see yourself as always being sick no matter where you go and no matter how much time passes:

But God really wants you to be here because He sees you working hard and getting better over the long haul.  It doesn't matter how long it takes:

God knows it's hard.  He knows your dreams.  He knows exactly what you need to get over your hang-ups.  Don't you think He loves you enough to send you to the right house?  

A house where you don't have to wonder, "Is it this door or that door?  A window or a patio door?"  God doesn't do question marks when building us up.

God is a God of reconstruction.  So put on your tool belt, put on your hard hat and meet with your construction team.  It's time to get rebuilding.