About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, September 29, 2014

Kawaga Trestle, Minoqua, WI

Bearskin Trail, Minoqua, WI
I just spent five days up at my mom's in the north woods of Wisconsin, outside of Minoqua.  It was the 50th anniversary of Beef-A-Rama.  A fun festival where (you guessed it) beef is celebrated complete with sandwiches,  lots of craft vendors, souvenirs and the Parade of Beef to bring the event to a close.
 
The weather could not have been more perfect.  Most of the trees were at their peak fall colors, the skies were a brilliant blue with big puffy clouds, the water was just a little wavy and there were people with cow hats and dogs with cow shirts on.  It was family fun with visitors from all over.
 
I decided to come up here this weekend because I'd never been even though my mom has lived here for almost 19 years.  We had a lot of fun.  I certainly enjoyed taking pictures of the leaves and other nature scenery.
 
One of the things I wanted to do was to walk the Bearskin Hiking Trail.  It's a very peaceful path where you can walk, jog, bike and I believe cross country ski in the winter.  I wanted to find the spot where I asked God, a few years ago, what He wanted me to do with my life.
 
As I was walking, I talked to Him about the book.  I went into some detail about the content and asked that He answer me when I'm in a quiet place and in front of a computer so that I can type out His response.  A little further down I had this overwhelming sense that I was standing right where He and I had met. 
 
It was amazing.  I recognized the surroundings.  I've played that moment over and over in my head.  I saw the small bridge, the red gravel on the ground, the water, the reduced speed for boats to go through and then I saw the name:  Kawaga Trestle.
 
Yes, that was it. 
 
I don't know if you've ever asked God a question like that or if you've ever experienced an answer from Him so let me share this:
 
If you allow it,
If you trust it,
If you discern it to be God's voice,
 
Then follow it.
 
I've been doing just that for about thirty-one years now.  It's not easy, it's not perfect, sometimes it's messy and sometimes it's fantastic.  I keep putting forth the effort and leaving the results up to God.
 
He chose me,
He spoke to me,
He knows all about me,
 
He'll always be with me.