About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, December 15, 2014

What Salvation Is

I used to work for a woman who was fast paced in everything she did.  She was a chiropractor, nutritionist, massage therapist, radio show personality and studying to be an environmental law lawyer.  Anything she put her mind to do she accomplished with excellence.  She's one of those people who is a life time student.

She was recommended by my own chiropractor.  At our first meeting we discussed my seven day food intake history, chemical exposures that were causing the migraines and how working in new construction was making it difficult to work.  She offered to give me a massage and I agreed.

While I lay face down our conversation was an interesting one.  She began asking questions about my belief in God.  I testified to my relationship with Jesus and being a Christian.  She poked and prodded by asking poignant questions which I prayed to God before I answered.  Then she said something interesting that I found troubling.  She said,

"I'm surrounded by so many Christians.  I know I'll have no trouble getting into Heaven."

I didn't know what to say.  Since I had just met her, I stayed silent and discerned to stay silent.  I hoped that one day God would open a door for a follow-up conversation about that belief.

I ended up working for her for a couple of years.  I learned a lot and we talked about God quite a bit.  She asked many questions, told her friends good things about me and my faith, but I never sensed God leading me to revisit that initial statement.

Unfortunately, our working relationship did not end well.  I lacked discipline and sticking up for myself when I'm accused of doing something wrong.  I'm not perfect and made some mistakes.

I miss her.  She was a real cheerleader during a time when I was struggling in another job.  She helped get me my next job.  I've look her up from time to time online just to see how she's doing.  She's had some sad times and I've prayed for God's comfort and healing in her life.

That one statement she made has never left my mind.  If I had a chance to respond to her and give her a word picture, this is what I'd say:

"Trusting you'll get into Heaven because you're walking in with your friends who are Christians is like getting into the Super Bowl because you're walking in with friends who have tickets.  You have to have your own ticket to get into the Super Bowl and you have to have your own relationship with Jesus, who bought and paid your sin by His death on the cross, in order to get into Heaven."

If you do not have a relationship with Jesus, consider the below steps then get connected to a Bible based local church.