About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

A Busy Mind

Dear God,

I want to thank you for the wonderful news yesterday.  Medicaid FINALLY processed all my expenses and you rewarded my work by having my spend down met from Nov 2012 - Jul 2013.  I'm so excited!  Now I can submit the mental health bill, Dr. Didenko's bill and order my new glasses.  Next is to send in the pharmacy expenses and prescription D expense.  I think August and September will be covered once those are processed.

I'm shaking today.  Since I woke up, through group and presently.  It's mostly my head and not much with my hands.  My neurologist said it was my emotions.  I agree. I think it's my anxiety.

Group therapy for stress management met for the first time today.  I thank you Lord that it's all women.  And it's a small group.  I like everyone there.  I did good being with people I've never met.  Having Faith as the facilitator was added comfort.  I tried to participate and did well.  I talked about Aaron's sky lantern liftoff we did this year to remember him and the importance of journaling (for me) when I'm feeling stress.  I suggested a group rule:  Listen with your eyes.  I find it difficult to concentrate when some one is interrupting the person who is trying to speak.  Eye contact reflects your interested in what the person is saying.

The book arrived, "How To Write Your Own Life Story."  I glanced through the contents.  I think I can use a lot of the suggestions with our book.  It's important to keep two notebooks:  One for thoughts and the other for writing assignments.  It will be interesting to see how much of these ideas I can apply.  Some of them are rather positive.  That wouldn't be so bad, would it?  :)

Lord, I think I'm overly anxious.  My mind is active and racing.  My legs are bouncing.  It's like I'm on speed (although I don't know what that's like) and I can't find the brake.  I keep telling myself it's okay to stay out in public.  So I drove to the library and here I type.  It's nice to be around people but not involved with people.

Father, I'm going to listen to the two messages from church I missed.  I think that will help me get centered on your peace and rest.  I don't know if I can control this shaking/bouncing but I know if I don't try I won't know.

Your persevering daughter,
Amy Kathleen