About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

World Mental Health Day

How many times have I felt completely isolated and alone in my illness?  More than I want to admit.  So often I've pulled back from a lot of people in order to not injure them.  Verbally, not physically.

Mental illness includes major depressive disorder, anxiety, panic, post traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder, alcohol and food addiction and agoraphobia. There are many other mental illnesses.

Learning about your illness or about the illness of a friend or loved one is important for knowing what you're dealing with.  Some illnesses have overlapping symptoms.  Others are distinct only to that illness.

In my own illnesses I have found the more information I have, the better off I am.  It gives me the words I need to communicate clearly to my therapist and psychiatrist  It gives me some coping tools so I can slow down the negative effects.  It gives me a sense of hope even in my darkest hour.

Mental Illness is not the end all of diagnosis'.  Once identified, it's the beginning of the right kind of treatment. Treatment includes medication, therapy, support groups and hospitalization.  Without this information it's very difficult to move forward on the path of recovery.

Dear God, please help me become aware when the medication is no longer working.  Help me reach out when reaching out is difficult and to take the hard steps of getting what I need.  I know you are with me but sometimes I feel so alone.  Honestly Lord, I want to be alone.  I don't want to subject anyone else to my world of crazies.
I love you with all my heart.
Love Amy

WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY ARTICLE