About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day 2014

As a child, Memorial Day was the last holiday before school let out for the summer.
As an adult, Memorial Day was the first holiday I had off from work.
Memorial Day meant very little else.

As a child, my Dad had a large cloth American flag he hung outside on our house.  I think either our village or someplace close had a parade we went to.  Then there was a picnic where we played with other kids.

I've always been sensitive to the playing of our national anthem, the sight of marching soldiers and saying the pledge of allegiance in school.  Seeing our flag waving in the wind or flying at half mass touches me deeply.  I don't know why but it's been that way as far as I can remember.

The professional baseball games I've been to, when we are asked to stand, remove our hats and place our right hand over our heart gets me all choked up then starts a steady stream of tears.  I think about how fortunate I am to live in a free country, no matter what issues we're dealing with in our politics.  I'm not in any immediate danger and neither is my family.

Then I look around at everyone who is singing or at least standing.  I look at their faces and for 1-2 minutes, we all agree on one thing - we love our country and are proud to be Americans.  All nationalities, all ages, all backgrounds, soldiers and ordinary citizens.

We are united under one flag.

It wasn't always that way.  Many men and women have died to keep it that way.  To protect us from the tyranny of other countries who, early on in our establishment for independence, tried to force us into their way of life.

The sacrifice and bravery of every fallen soldier, since the birth of our country, is honored on Memorial Day.  It's not about the picnics or parties or parades although each of those can be looked at as benefits of a free nation under God.

Here's a great video and article about the history of Memorial Day.

The History of Memorial Day

Let's thank God for our nation and pray for the families who have lost loved ones by defending our freedoms. Never forget their sacrifice.