About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, September 06, 2014

Aaron's Birthday

Today is Aaron's birthday.  Aaron died from huffing (inhaling) propane four and a half years ago, the previous April.  He was eighteen years old.

Aaron died before he graduated from high school.  It was one month away.  He died before he and Alex, his girlfriend, could get married.  He died before he could go to college.  His life stopped before it ever really began.

Aaron became my nephew as did his older and younger brothers when my sister married their Dad.  They'd been married for eight years when this tragedy happened.  In all, my sister and her husband had seven children.  Four full time and his three boys as much as he was allowed.

It was hard getting to know Aaron.  He was a goofy kid.  He made jokes so you'd laugh and he made funny faces.  But one of his most endearing character traits were his hugs.  Every time he knew I was driving over to the house for a visit, when I pulled into the driveway Aaron would come running out of the house yelling, "Aunt Amy!"  I'd match his enthusiasm and enfold him into my arms as he did with me.

I believe that endearment gave us a special bond.  I have a special bond with each of my nephews and nieces that is tailored to just them.  They are individuals with individual ways of relating, loving and having fun.  It gives me great joy to spend quality time with them.

Today would have been Aaron's 23rd birthday.

Instead, it's a reminder that his rebirth as a Christian has taken place and he is with the Lord where there are no more yesterdays or tomorrows.  He will never age and he will never be without  the deep caring love of our Heavenly Father.

I wish I would have known about Aaron's huffing addiction.  All of his family members would have gone to any lengths to get him the help he needed.  But he chose to stay silent.  HE chose.

Lord, I pray for Aaron's Mom, Shawnda and his Dad, Dale and his Stepmom, Tina and his brothers and sisters that this day they will be comforted by Aaron's eternal resting place with you.  Help all of us to release the guilt we feel about not knowing or doing enough to help him.  It wasn't meant to be.  Remind us that Your plan is so much bigger and better than we can ever imagine.  May we put our hope and trust in you, not just today but in all the days forevermore.  In Jesus Name, Amen.