About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Being A Writer

Being a writer is not as easy as I thought.

Reading other people's writing is much easier.

Their thoughts seem to flow effortlessly across a blank page.

Their words seem to convey perfectly the message they want us to consider.

Writing.
 
Webster's Dictionary defines it as:
: the activity or work of writing books, poems, stories, etc.
: the way that you use written words to express your ideas or opinions
: books, poems, essays, letters, etc.

Hm.  That's a good definition.

I struggle with writing when I am depressed, anxious, tired, negative or feeling out of sorts.  Lots of people feel this way and struggle with going to work, getting out of bed or functioning in other ways.  I am no different.

The perfectionist in me wants to whip it out in record time so that people can be helped.  The realist in me knows it's going to take time because my story isn't easy to tell.  The inner child in me wants to control what parts of our story I share.  The adult knows it's all going to come out.

When God whispers a directive like He did ("Amy, I want you to tell your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering), there's no denying everything will work out just fine. Even now He has provided:

a.  A new laptop as a gift from a friend so I can write my story.
b.  Access to Microsoft Office 365 (Office 2013 plus One Drive) from a friend.
c.  Friends with writing and insight to help and counsel me.
d.  A therapist and friends to cheer me on.
e.  A Mom who is ready to help with whatever details I might need.

I am a writer.
There is a plan.
I am submitted to God's will.

What more can I do?

Write.