About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Ms. Joan Rivers, Rest In Peace

I've been a secret fan of Joan Rivers for many years.  Her crude jokes always made me laugh because the words she used were too embarrassing for me to say.  She was who she was with no apologies.

When the news shows announced she was in ICU following a throat procedure I was worried.  Melissa, her daughter, moved her to a private room where her mother could rest comfortably.  She asked that we continue to pray for her mom.  On Thursday, September 4th, life support was disconnected and Joan Rivers passed away peacefully.

In her own words, Ms. Rivers was an actress who played a comedienne.  She was a talented writer who kept index card copies of all her jokes in metal card catalog file drawers.  Whenever she thought of a new joke she would scribble it down on a piece of paper then transfer it to the right file drawer for future use.  All jokes were categorized.

I was surprised to learn Ms. Rivers battled with depression.  It wasn't something she hid from people.  It was something she dealt with quietly with her closest friends and family.

I've watched a few videos on news channels.  The one where Melissa and her son, Cooper, watch the casket being loaded into the hearse so that her mother can be cremated for the following day's funeral.  I cried.  Then there's the who's who attending the invitation only funeral and stories from onlookers who turned out for the funeral.

On Netflix there are two movies:

  1. Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work  2010  This all-access documentary chronicles a year in the life of legendary comedian Joan Rivers while revisiting the dramatic highs and lows of her past.
  2. Joan Rivers: Don't Start With Me  2012  At 78, Joan Rivers has no interest in slowing down, and no one's immune from her caustic barbs in this stand-up special.
Ms. Rivers lived a very full life.  She did exactly what she set out to do.  At age 81 she was still making us laugh with a show she and her daughter co-hosted, "Fashion Police."

Ms. Rivers will be sorely missed.  I know I'll miss her.  

I'm not the only one.