About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Me? High Blood Pressure?

I went to the doctor because I happened to check my blood pressure last week.  I've been feeling tired, having migraines every morning and trying to manage a lot of stress.

When I was at Walmart I remembered they have a blood pressure machine.  I sat down, put my arm through the cuff then pressed the start button.  The cuff filled up with air around my left upper arm, stayed that way then slowly released the pressure.  I was shocked when I saw the reading:  158/107.

It took a minute or so to catch my breath.  Immediately I started adding up all the contributing factors that could have played a role in this spike.  You see, I've never had a problem with high blood pressure.  In fact during my last metabolic panel everything was good - even my blood sugar.

I have a wrist cuff at home.  The next day I took another reading.  It was lower but still in the high category.  I called my doctor's office and spoke to a nurse.  She asked me a bunch of questions.  There was no evidence of a stroke or reason for a trip to the emergency room.  Instead I was to continue tracking my blood pressure and see my doctor on Monday.

I'm not the type of person who runs to the doctor every time I have a hang nail.  I'm also not the type of person who avoids my doctor when I have a real problem.  I've had the same doctor for about five years.  He's very thorough and we have a good doctor/patient repore.  I'm always honest with him so that he has everything to be able to give me the best medical advice or medications.

He went through a list of stressors and foods that cause high blood pressure.  I told him:

  • Yes, I've had a migraine every morning for 11 days.
  • Yes, my salt intake has increased (tomatoes/cucumbers) although my doctor said it wasn't a contributor because I was not puffy or retaining water.
  • Yes, my stress level has increased
  • Yes, I've walked about 2-3 times in the last 2 weeks
  • Yes, my weight has been fluctuating in the last month
  • Yes, I'm still seeing my therapist weekly
  • No, my psychotropic drugs have not changed
  • No, I have no chest pain or palpitations
  • No, I do not have dizzy spells
  • Yes, I do have times when my hands go numb
  • No, my vision does not get blurry
I told him I was willing to take a blood pressure medication temporarily until we figure out what is going on.  He was glad to hear it because that's what he was leaning toward.  He ordered an EKG in his office.  I laughed out loud and said, "Those are always false positives."  He looked at me and asked, "Always?"  I replied, "Yes, always."  "Good," he responded, "then we'll have something to compare it to from two years ago."  

The EKG was fine.  He started me out on a very very low dose of a medication to help the blood pressure go down and stay down.  I'm going to create a sheet to track some things.  I'm a little concerned but more than that, I'm motivated.

If my blood pressure is starting to be effected by my weight then I have the power, control and self-will to fix it.  For the next 30 days I'm going to take a walk every day and watch what I eat.  Maybe I can prove to my dysfunctional and disbelieving self that putting forth some effort can have positive results.

After all, I'm worth it and so are you!