About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Learning How To Live A Better Life

I'm trying to live a better life.

Not a perfect life - I've already tried it and decided it's not worth the stress.
Not a life someone else thinks I should live - too much pressure for their approval.
Not a broken life - I'm allowing healing to take place no matter how slow it moves.

Two years ago on October 14th, God willing, I cut for the last time.  I can't believe I've been able to resist that form of self-injury with all these feelings leaking out of the holes in my recovery process.  The holes I'm referring to are not negatives or things I'm missing.  The holes represent times in my life when I did not feel what I was experiencing - I simply survived it.  Introducing then connecting feelings to those experiences is foreign but very necessary so that I can come full circle.

I'm no longer obsessed about folding knives, hunting knives, etc..  I'm not buying first aid supplies. I'm not living in the dark - I turn the lights on every night.  I don't watch violent movies all the time.  I talk more and have better quality friendships.  I've let go of relationships that were hurtful.

I'm learning how to create a better life.

I have an idea of what it will look like - some of the characteristics.

I take my meds as prescribed although I do allow a day off a week.
I pamper my kitties and make sure their needs are meet everyday.
I keep my house orderly and clean.
The struggles I have with my body both in size and hygiene I keep working on.
I set goals so that I can feel a sense of accomplishment.
I ask for help when I need it.
I sleep enough, rest enough and spend time learning about God.
I meet with friends and spend time with my family as I can.
I don't make plans too far ahead so that I don't disappoint people.

Key:  I allow myself to change anything I need to as I need to.

This is how I learn how to live a better life.

I keep practicing.