About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, November 08, 2013

Top 10 Movies When I'm Down

All of us have our top movies we watch when we are in certain moods.  When I am feeling depressed or down or mentally ill or alone, I watch the below movies:

1.  A Beautiful Mind - Russell Crowe plays a Nobel Prize winning economist and mathematician who develops schizophrenia. Drama.

2.  What About Bob? - Bill Murray plays a psychiatric patient who follows his egocentric psychiatrist on vacation.  Comedy.

3.  Mama Mia - Meryl Streep is the mom of a daughter who is trying to find her real father told through the popular 70's singing group ABBA.  Musical.

4.  First Wives Club - Bette Midler, Diane Keaten and Goldie Hawn pull off a comedy that is surely a classic of scorned wives getting sweet revenge against their cheating husbands.  I've never been married but let me tell you, this movie gives courage to anyone who has been taken advantage of!  Comedy.

5  My Fellow Americans - Jack Lemmon and James Garner play two ex-presidents who are accused of a crime and forced to collaborate on a plan to save the integrity of the White House.  Comedy.

6.  Rambo (any in the series) - Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo who fought for his country in Vietnam only to come home to a silent war against he and his brothers in arms.  The entire series is about him coming full circle in who he is as a soldier.  Action.

7.  Star Wars (any in the series) - The dark force is gaining strength but The Force is gaining momentum.  Drama.

8.  Dead Poets Society - Robin Williams is a teacher who opens the minds of young men so they can see and imagine great things about themselves and their futures.  Drama.

9.  Remember the Titans - Denzel Washington plays in the true story of a new African American football coach in a school that has just integrated races. Drama

10.  K-19:  The Widowmaker - Harrison Ford plays a Soviet Nuclear Submarine Captain during a time when this submarine malfunctions on her maiden voyage.  The crew must figure out how to save her.  Drama

Remember, there are a lot of good movies out there but not all of them belong in your library.  I do not have any movies that are triggers.  I do not have many R rated movies.

I bought a used VCR and have almost 100 VHS movies.  Goodwill in the Chicagoland area sells all VHS tapes for forty-nine cents each.  They are incredibly cheap and never skip.  I hope you are adding to your library because there will be days when you won't be able to concentrate enough to read or feel well enough to socialize.

Make a plan.
Set your plan in motion.
Be prepared so your struggles will be lessened.