About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Obesity Thoughts

I've talked before about my struggle with food but I need to talk about it again.
For the past month or so I've been changing what I eat and how much I eat.
The month or so before I added nine pounds.
As of this week I've taken off six of those pounds.

I don't throw myself a party or find myself cheering.
I don't celebrate nor do I count it as weight loss.
I simply say, "I have three more pounds to loose to get to where I was."
Then I can begin again.

Is this too harsh?  I don't think so.
When my weight is going up and down like that I'm not achieving a goal.
I'm playing with my food and living a lie.
Only when my weight stays off have I achieved my goal.

I want to live in a body that is not consumed by thoughts of food.
I want my body to be able to walk sensible distances without undue stress.
I want to strengthen my body safely so that I can protect myself from harm.
I want my body to feel fit and firm - not fat and flabby.

I think my body is the outward picture of the inner me.
My insides have some healing to do.
I'm not on a timetable to get all of that yuck pulled out and thrown away.
Instead, it's important that I continue digging and exposing what needs to be pulled.

Only by God's will and His grace will I achieve this healing.
It's my prayer that I stay in His will and grace.
It's my prayer that my therapist stay in His will and grace.
It's my prayer that those whom God has placed in my life stay in His will and grace.

Amen