About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, November 14, 2014

Please Rescue Me

Our friends try to understand the pain we feel inside.
They are horrified at what happened to us.
They are saddened that our childhood was stolen from us.
They are angered that our little bodies were battered and bruised.
They wish they could have been there to stop it.

I had times in the abusive days when I wished someone would rescue me.
I was pretty naive during the sexual abuse so I never thought anything was wrong.
It was the physical abuse, the physical pain, when I wanted help.
I wanted someone to bust through the door, shove my dad aside and take me out of there.
But that never happened.

Wanting a superhero to come get me was only going to happen one way.
I was going to have to leave.
I had to runaway from my home and escape to a place where I wouldn't be found.
So that's what I did.
But as it turns out, the place I ran to called my mom and dad.

I didn't tell her about the abuse.
I didn't tell anyone.
Had I told I didn't know what would happen.
People who weren't familiar with abuse tended to overreact.
I could loose my parents, sisters and home.

All that pain I felt inside?
I shoved it very far down so it wouldn't surface.
Those memories of physical, sexual, verbal and mental abuse?
I shoved down even further.
It was a matter of survival.

Now that one of the abusers is dead, I can finish that work and call it done.
The other five can be worked on and finished just as well.
There is no timetable for the work to be done.
Slow and steady wins the race.