About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Talking About the Secrets


I went to my therapy session yesterday. I wasn't going to  go because I was uncovering some secrets about the sexual abuse.  But then I remembered some truths from my years of recovery and my time with Faith:

1.  I'm only as sick as my secrets.
2.  Secrets are meant to be shared in a safe environment.
3.  Faith is a safe person to share my secrets.
4.  I don't have to share all of my secrets in one sitting.
5.  My secrets can only hurt me if I give them the power to do so.

Faith read my blogs for the past week.  I read the printouts of them along with her.  I didn't remember the depth of sharing.  They revealed a lot of pain and suffering in ways I hadn't encapsulated before.

I felt uneasy at the level of exposure.  Even though I felt okay writing about it, looking back I was easily uncomfortable with what I'd written.  I felt I shared too much.

But did I share too much or was it appropriate?
Was it because I held onto these secrets for decades?
Maybe it was time for these secrets to come out of the dark and into the light?

What I know is I have more to tell Faith at our next session.  I could not say it yesterday because a flood of tears would have flowed out of me.  Tears of deep sadness and decades of pain.   

Secrets stay secrets for a reason.  It serves a purpose to have them living in the darkness.  Whether it's to preserve a present relationship or to prevent us from having an emotional breakdown, keeping secrets benefit us otherwise we'd talk about them.  

I'm ready to start talking about them, one by one and build a new kind of safety and security based in truth and the love of God, the healer of all things in my life.

With God's help, healing will take place as each secret is loved forward.