About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Going Out With New Friends


It's supposed to be a day of rest except it's anything but.
I'm so tired I can barely walk from the living room to the kitchen.
I want to sleep uninterrupted but I know that won't come for awhile.
This is when I want to go to a bar, order a few drinks, chase them down and then be at ease.
Really at ease.

My body will be relaxed.
I can sit at the bar and watch sports for as long as I want.
I can feel nothing for several hours.
Just the warmth of that drink and the subtle quietness that takes place in my head.

To be asleep.
Ah, that would feel good.
I'm not sure about this dinner tonight.
I'm nervous and don't want to go.
But it's one of those where I should go.
I promised someone a ride.
I need someone there to understand the ptsd/anxiety.
I'll load up on my xanex.
I have to get cash for dinner.
I'm glad I have it, God.
Thank you.

I think I'll get something to drink (sugar free grape kool-aid).
Lay down.
Not eat.
And rest.

God, I need someone there who understands social anxiety, mental illness and stuff like that.

Please.