About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Still Grieving Aaron

I've wanted to tell her about Aaron since last week but I believed an old lie from another time in my life.  I decided, if she had the time, I would tell her.  Turns out she did.

After listening to me tell her the entire week of Aaron in the hospital six years ago, God prompting me to baptize him, being asked to sit with him by his mom until it was time for him to die, announcing to Aaron's mom and dad that it was time, sitting in the room with his parents, brother and other aunts and uncles when he passed away, the details of the funeral and the days that followed, I shared that I've never cried.

Not when placed my hands on his forehead and heart the first night.
Not when I found out his death was eminent.
Not when I baptized him.
Not when I sat in his room and people asked how he was.
Not when we surrounded him and he died.
Not at the funeral.
Not when I was alone at home.
Not on any of the anniversaries.
I haven't cried.

It was a long story.  Instead of saying something quickly and rushing off, she took my hands in hers and we were eyeball to eyeball.  She said, "Maybe you don't need to grieve so much because you brought him into restoration with God.  God gave you that assignment and the one to sit in his room, watching over him, then getting everyone when his heartbeat started going down.  You were able to hear the Holy Spirit and do what was being asked of you."

I never think of obedience as a reason for God removing pain.

I still might be blocking some grief because I sink into a deep depression a few days before that week begins and days after.  Truth be told, I'm still in it.  Sleeping a lot.  Saw my psych and he made an adjustment.  He was trying to get me to laugh but I wasn't finding anything funny.  I wasn't angry - just not in a funny mood.

This is the t-shirt I made while the Alateens were at the hospital.  Like I said before, I needed to be with my own people.

Thanks for listening.