About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Depression and Housework












Let's face it.
Anyone who is depressed does not want to do housework.
Dishes stack up even though the dishwasher works.
Clothes are laying around.
The garbage is ripe enough to walk out on its own.

We're embarrassed.
We feel guilty.
We don't know what to do so we do.....nothing.

"Nothing" is the same as nonexistence, emptiness, no part, no trace.

Sound familiar?  Those words also describe depression.

I've been living with depression since I was in my early teens.  I'm in my mid forties and I'm still learning how to make progress with the housework.

Here are some things I do:

1.  When the dishes stack up, I have a couple of options.  Since I don't have a dishwasher and each of my sisters do, I can put my dishes into garbage bags and bring them to their house.  I have a clean set of garbage bags to bring them home.
2.  If I can't get to one of my sisters homes, I make a plan of attack.  I organize the dishes into groups (silverware and utensils, plates, round things, plastic containers, all cups then pots and pans).  I tell myself to go in that order, just one at a time.  If I get the silverware done that day, great.  If I feel like I can do more, I do more.  If not, I've met my goal.
3.  I've made a decision to change my clothes only in the bathroom.  It keeps my clothes in one place where I can scoop them up and bring them to my laundry hamper.
4.  Since I have cats it's important that I throw away the waste bag when it's full.  I am physically capable of doing this and it will keep my environment smelling clean.
5.  I hired my sister to come in once a month and do some of the more difficult cleaning.  She needs the money, I need the help and we get to spend a couple hours together.  I feel much better asking for the help.

Depression is a downer.
It tells us not to do anything that will make us feel better.
Even if we're struggling, it's important to fight back.

My depression hasn't gone away because I've done these things.
You know what has gone away?

The clutter, the mess and my guilt.