About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Elizabeth J. Morrison, LCSW

For the next few days, I'm going to introduce you to a therapist who made a huge impact in my recovery.  There are five of them.  The first one is Liz Morrison.

I started 12 step groups when I was 14.  My parents divorced six months later.  I hated my mom, didn't really have a relationship with my sisters and now the only one who gave me attention - albeit negative and destructive - was gone.  I was lost.  I had no identity apart from being abused.  I started acting out.  My mom was already in recovery for just over a year.  She knew what to do.  She gave me an ultimatum:  See a counselor or move out.  Obviously I went to see a counselor.  But it wasn't Liz.  It was someone else.  This other woman was good for awhile but then misled me in significant areas of my identity.  It was then that I decided to leave.

I called a local agency to see a new counselor.  The next woman was just like the previous one mentioned above.  I was shocked and disheartened.  I started going to group therapy.  That's when I met Liz.  She facilitated the group.  I liked her gentleness and sincerity.  I knew almost immediately that I wanted her to be my counselor.  I took some risky steps, asked her to be my therapist and it came to be!

I was a new Christian, struggling with my sexuality, PTSD from abuse memories, flashbacks and dreams, displaying signs of depression and mental illness, leaving my dad, finding my place in my family and healing from a bad car accident.  To put it simply, Liz helped me through the bulk of my early healing.

She did this through her natural calm, teaching art therapy, encouraging me to write, becoming someone I could trust, not taking over the session, respecting my physical boundaries, mentioning God from time to time, letting me talk at my pace and at times, challenging me to think differently. Liz was the first one who made it a safe place to cry in front of someone.  I always cried alone.

How do you thank someone who impacted your broken life in such a healing way?  I remember what she taught me, how much she loved me, the many prayers she said on my behalf and I continue using the coping skills she taught me.  That is how I honor her.

This song tells what I learned about God during the 15 years Liz counseled me.