About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Saying No To Something Good

Most of us are used to hearing, "If something is going to hurt you or lead you down a path that ultimately ends in some type of destruction, saying "no" is the best way to protect yourself and those you love.

That's exactly right.  I've used that logic several times over the years.  I've saved myself and my family from certain pain because I took a few seconds or longer to think through what the results of my actions could be.

I imagine myself being fired from a job I enjoyed because I was reacting out of anger.  I imagine myself being sad as I walked away from a friendship I thought would never end because I wouldn't forgive.  I imagine my head being downcast the rest of my life as I lived in isolation because I was too scared to confront the abuse that tore apart my body.

Those are just a few examples of situations I turned around and chose to work on even though the work was incredibly hard.

What about the flip side?

What if a situation presents itself, you've spent time thinking and praying about it, you get the go ahead and yet you decide to say, "no?"

What does that say about you?

It says a lot of healthy stuff.  It says you are not motivated by the "yes" as much as you are motivated by the "yes" plus other factors.  It says you are motivated by God in your "yes" and there are times He will let you make the final decision.  It says you have the freedom to make the choice based on your values, beliefs, what Scripture says and the counsel you've received.

Sometimes, the choice you make, cannot be the wrong choice.  Sometimes, either choice is approved of by God.  Sometimes, He takes His influence away and let's you decide for yourself.

God as our Father, God as Jesus and God as Holy Spirit are always with us once we accept the gift of forgiveness of our sins and the gift of eternal life that Jesus freely gave us through His death on the cross.

God can only love us.
Completely.
Wholeheartedly.

What a friend we have in Jesus.