About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Letting Go of the Bad Stuff

Even when the day seems long, I'm having difficulty staying awake, my household chores are getting done a little more slowly and I'm living life inside my head, even when all of this is happening it's still a better day than how it used to be.

Not that long ago my soul was weary from relational conflict.  I needed to let go so I did.  It didn't make the process of letting go any easier or the sadness of letting go any less painful but in the end it was the wisest decision to make.  

On the heals of that came the process of saying good-bye to self injury behavior.  It started with hair pulling when I was a little girl.  It stayed that way all through my thirty's.  When I started self-injuring using sharp objects it felt good because I could point to what hurt.  In my mid to late forty's is when I was able to stop all self injury behavior.  There are times I wish I could still use it but those are fleeting thoughts - not ones that last.

I have enough scars - inside my soul and outside on my body.  I have many of them in my memory and others on my arms, shoulders and other places.  Some of them were inflicted by my Dad or other adults and some were inflicted by me.  All of the scars tell a story about a time in my life that was painful - a time I'd just as well forget.

I'm so glad to have my God, family, friends and therapist.  My scars cannot be seen by them.  Thankfully, I'm the only one who knows where they are.

They help me keep a straight line on the narrow path.  Not on a perfect path and certainly not on a path that is dangerous to my recovery.  I guess you could say it's a well-balanced path that rewards good choices and gives good correction for bad choices.

Self-injury is not a game nor is it an attention getter. It's an embarrassment in front of others.  It's not funny when I'm doing it, either.

Pay attention if you know someone who is self-injuring.

Their cry for help is bleeding on their body.