About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, August 01, 2013

Identity Crisis?

Good session today with Faith.  Filled out the self injury sheet.  Talked about it.  Took notes.

For some reason, what used to be okay to accept as truth has now become detrimental and is a lie.  I don't know how that happened but it seems to have happened.  This is when recovery becomes a little confusing and you have to really trust the ones God has put in your life to help you get better.

What is truth?  "Taking Radical Understanding To Heart."
What is taking?  Grabbing hold of a new way to think, behave and feel.
What is radical?  Mind blowing teachings of God as Father and Jesus Christ that wreck my distorted core beliefs.
What is understanding?  Having head knowledge of the lies I am believing.
What is to heart?  Applying the true beliefs, while connected to my emotions, as the distorted beliefs fade away.
Why do I do this?  To live a recovered life, to feel recovered emotions, to think recovered thoughts and to behave consistently in all relationships.
Benefits:  Peace in my soul, more genuine happy, less sad, more risk taking, less scared, owning my purpose according to God's plan for my life and running toward the goal as I grab the prize.

Went to the library.  Picked up Donald Miller's book.  Reading it and Ephesians.  Going to go meet a friend's new puppy.  That's a stretch since I only know her as Mrs. Claus!  Want to take a nap but know the value of getting outside myself.

Happy Thursday!