About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Julie Tevenan, LCSW

When I could no longer afford to see Carol or Jeff, I reached out to my psychiatrist for help.  She told me about Julie and thought we'd be a good fit.  She worked in the same office, took Medicare and was an LCSW.  I like LCSW's.  Good, she's licensed and trained well.

Through the help of Carol and Jeff, I was able to stop drinking.  I was self-injury free.  The last day I drank and self-injured was July 9, 2010.  And when I say "self-injured" I mean I carved up my body.  Arms, shoulders, breasts, ribs, stomach and further down.  Yes, there, too.

If I had to describe Julie in one word, it would be wise.  She encouraged deep talk and utilizing the 45 minute session. She doesn't do hugs.  I'll be honest with you.  I don't remember what we worked on.  It's just one of those things.

What I do know is I was changed for the better.  I did what she told me to do, listened intently to what she was saying and dug down as far as I could.  Then, one year later, came her announcement.

"I'm leaving.  This is our last session."  And with that, we were done.  (I wouldn't advise that when working with someone with Borderline Personality Disorder).

I remember the Holy Spirit telling me not to get too attached to Julie when we first starting meeting.  I listened so the shock wasn't an emotional shock.  It was one of those, "Really?" shocks.  Fortunately, there was enough time so I could write her a kind note wishing her all the best.

What Julie and I worked on sustained my well-being.  Looking back, I can tell you we laughed a lot.  I mean we really whooped it up!  So much so that my psychiatrist (whose office shared a wall with Julie's), would come out when I was leaving to ask us what we were doing in there!  Hahaha.  We were having, "Too much fun and she wanted to join in!"

It was a good time.  A time of rest from my darkest issues.  A time where I could just be.

Thank you, Julie!  I have a warm spot in my heart for you.

Click here to watch a snippet by Joel Osteen on laughter