About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, August 23, 2013

Kathie, My Mom

I brought my Mom to my session with Faith yesterday.  I wasn't nervous because my Mom has been a part of my recovery for decades.  She's met most of my counselors.  She really liked Faith and was so glad she's my counselor.  And it wasn't like, "I'm so glad she's your counselor" and then we talked about something else.  It was my Mom telling me what she liked about Faith, how wonderful she is and how glad she's my counselor.  My Mom's gratitude matched my own.  Praise God for hooking us up - my Mom and I / Faith and I.

We  went to Great America after it rained in the morning.  We did a lot of laughing which is one of the best parts of our relationship.  We walked, people watched, went on the Carousel and Swings, watched the third installment of how Great America was built then watched a bunch of the roller coasters and extreme adrenalin rides.

My Mom turned 70 this year.  She in no way looks or acts like it.  I've said this before and I'll say it again.  My Mom is my hero.  She demonstrated incredible courage when I was a teenager.  I love her with all my heart.  I have no secrets with my Mom.  It's taken many years for us to work through all the junk of the past.  Mom says we forgave each other.  I think that is well put.  

My Mom is one of my safe people, I trust her implicitly and I love her deeply.