About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

God In You

I always wanted to be Daddy's girl. It wasn't until I learned that the kind of Daddy I wanted could only be found in one Person. 

 - God -

I wanted a lot of things that I didn't have as a young person.  I wanted better living conditions, better parents, closer relationships with my sisters, to feel like I belonged in school and to matter to someone who wouldn't hurt me.

I didn't think it was too much to ask.

When I started recovery at age fourteen, I learned many of the things I wanted were reasonable and not selfish.  The only problem is that it was too late to have those.  All of them except one were no longer possible.

Mattering to someone who wouldn't hurt me could not come from any human being.  No human relationship, no matter how loving or trusting or well meaning could ever be perfect.  Humans were made with flaws so that they, too, would need someone who would never hurt them.

The One who never hurts us is the Creator of the universe, the One who spoke our world into being. The One who made the sun, the moon and the stars.  The One who separated the land from the expanse of the sky.  The One who made the land and the oceans.  The One who created all the creatures in the waters, on the land and in the air.  The One who gave us food to eat from the plants and certain animals.  The One who made the mountains and forests and deserts.  The One who made man out of the earth and breathed life into him.  The One who caused man to fall into a deep sleep, removed one of his ribs and made woman to be his companion. (from Genesis)

This is the One who created us in His image.  So that we could be His companion and enjoy fellowship with him.  All we had to do was not eat from the Tree of Knowledge.  One rule.  One rule broken would end that fellowship and bring sin and death upon our world.  And so it came to be when Eve and Adam ate the apple that came from that tree and they were banished from the Garden of Eden.

Our relationship with our Daddy (God) would come with a price.  Throughout the old testament, innocent animals had to die in order to atone (pay) for our sin.  When it was time, the prophecy of Jesus' arrival was fulfilled.  His death became the substitutionary atonement for all sin, past, present and future for those who believed in Him.  He restored our relationship with God.  Now it is time to do what God had in mind for us when He created us.

But first, we must know deep in our soul that God loves us with an everlasting love.  Nothing we do, no matter how horrendous, can separate us from His love.  Yes, we still have to repent and ask for forgiveness.  If our heart is to please God, yet we keep moving farther away by sinning, then we must get the help we need from a professional therapist to stop our repeated sins.

We must read His word on a daily basis so that the deceptive thoughts of the evil one cannot gain ground.  The bible is not only God's love letter to us but it is also our weapon against evil thoughts and desires.  We must be doers of God's word, committing it to memory so that we are ready to give an answer when our faith is challenged or questioned.  

Dear One, God does not want any of His children to parish.  Believe in Him like He believes in you.  If you question your faith, read the book of John in the new testament.  You will learn about the birth, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus.  If you have any questions, send me an email or ask a friend who is a Christian.  If there is a local Bible believing church nearby, go get some teaching that fills you.

You'll be so glad you did!!