About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Self-Injury Inside Mouth

Today Faith asked about the self-injury inside my mouth.  Was it still going on?  Yup.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why.  I know it happens when I read the news and when I'm writing my blog.  I feel it right now wanting to start and I felt it wanting to start earlier when I was reading a news story.

Why is that?

The news stories I read are mostly about people and their tragedies.  A death, a child being hurt, an animal being rescued.  Some sort of situation that causes feelings of sadness.

The blogs I write are stories from my history or my present.  Some of them are sad or reflective or nice.  I'm not sure any of them are fun.  When I write them I am conscious of the words but not emotionally connected to them.

In both writing scenarios, I am shut down.

Self-injuring while being shut down is a common form of self expression.  Those feelings that are supposed to surface never get a chance to because I hide them away in a safe place.

But are they really safe?  No.

They come out in a way that causes pain, physical pain and I need to find a way to stop it.

Lord, in all the ways you are healing my pain, please show me how to heal this one.