About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Old Friendships Never Die

Stretching myself to be social is proving to be more beneficial than I thought it would be.  Part of it is resting in between social times while the other part is choosing safe social events.  I've had a busy week thus far.  Every social engagement has been good, even fun, and I wouldn't change any of them.

Perhaps the one I was most surprised by was my friend Saundra's volleyball match.  She plays every Tuesday night.  This was the second one I was able to attend.  My friend and Saundra's best friend, Jennifer, was going to be there.  I was excited to see them both yet apprehensive about who else was going to be there.

To ease my stress and anxiety, I was able to lay down for 45 minutes and rest my body and my mind.  I knew if I did this I had a better chance of being able to manage any uncomfortable feelings that would surface.  I was right.

I sent a text message letting Jen know I was on my way; she was, too.  I was able to park in a handicap spot because my walking was unstable and difficult.  It was nice to see them practicing.  I met both of their families and a friend.  I had nothing to worry about.

Jen found a class picture of our 4th grade class.  She asked me if I knew some names of kids she and Saundra couldn't remember.  I knew all but two.  Now I remember one, Robbie Benson and the other was Russell something.  What great memories.

During the match, Jen and I talked a bit and then we bantered back and forth about who was paying more attention to the match.  It was so much fun to be kidding around with someone who knew it was all fun and games.

Reconnecting with these two women has brought great joy to my life.  When we split off during Jr. High and High School, I was saddened because I was sure they'd never be part of my life again.  It's weird to say this but Facebook brought us back together.

They reached out and I friended them not knowing why they'd want to be my friend after so many years going by.  I decided to take a risk and start commenting on some of their posts, to reach out to them and see what happened.  To my great joy, they decided to reach back, take a risk and ask to meet for tea.  That's one day that will live in my heart forever!  When we talked this past week about getting together for tea again, I felt in my heart to meet with them separately.

When I care about someone, giving them one on one time is very valuable to developing a friendship that can go deeper if so desired.  I want them to understand I see them as individual women with value all their own.  If they are willing, at some point, an intimate friendship can be born where God can be at work in our lives.

And who better to lead us and guide us than our Heavenly Father?

No one.