About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Part 2 of 3: Coping Tools - Body

When I was in one of the many hospitalizations, I was given a sheet of paper that had three blank columns with the headings of Mind, Body and Spirit.  The assignment was to identify coping tools I could "plug into my daily living to help me cope with life more effectively.

Given the background I have in twelve step groups, therapy and what I'd been learning in mental health facilities, I came up with coping tools that were realistic and relatively easy to do.

Here's what I wrote down for my "body".  These are not written down in any particular order.  Think of them as little pieces of paper in a hat where you reach in and pick one out.


  • Walking
  • Body Relaxation
  • Snapping a rubberband on my wrist
  • Using a punching bag
  • Punching my pillow
  • Taking my medication as prescribed
  • Using a pill organizer and filling it as needed
  • Splashing cold water on my face
  • Change my surroundings
  • Slow down my breathing
  • Listen to relaxing music
  • Watch a creation video
  • Seek out hugs
  • Take anxiety medication
  • Get out of bed
  • Eat when hungry; stop when full
  • Don't skip meals
  • Get plenty of sleep
  • Do stretches
  • Go outside for fresh air
  • Wrap self in blankets to feel safe
  • "I have a right to say no to anything that will hurt me or be unsafe."

This is the first step in being able to recognize and learn when my body is feeling stress or exhaustion.  It has a way of telling me what it needs.  I need to pay attention to what it is saying.  The best way to manage it is to stay aware, try some of the above to see what works and to ask my therapist if she has any other ideas that I can try.  

Practicing the above keeps me in tune in the here and now.  I need to stay in the present so that my body doesn't stay stuck and instead is able to move forward out of the stress.  If I stay in the stress, I end up saying no to things that God may have wanted to give me.  

And who wants to do that?