About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, June 30, 2014

Part 1 of 3: Coping Tools - Mind

When I was in one of the many hospitalizations, I was given a sheet of paper that had three blank columns with the headings of Mind, Body and Spirit.  The assignment was to identify coping tools I could "plug into my daily living to help me cope with life more effectively.

Given the background I have in twelve step groups, therapy and what I'd been learning in mental health facilities, I came up with coping tools that were realistic and relatively easy to do.

Here's what I wrote down for my "mind".  These are not written down in any particular order.  Think of them as little pieces of paper in a hat where you reach in and pick one out.

  • Writing
  • Starting a blog
  • Write down three (3) positive thoughts
  • Allow myself to cry
  • Recognize negative thoughts
  • Recognize distorted thoughts
  • Recognize irrational thoughts
  • Recognize destructive thoughts
  • Use coloring sheets or books
  • Tell myself, "I am doing better."
  • Call one of the people who support me
  • Call Lake County's Crisis Care Number
  • Recognize if I feel overwhelmed
  • Recognize if I'm alone too much
  • Recognize if I feel hopeless
  • Is my medication changing?  Do I need to call my psychiatrist?
  • Recognize my fears and write them down
  • Am I feeling "out of control?"
  • Am I feeling panic or anxious?
  • Am I feeling increased depression?
  • Be real and authentic
  • Tell the truth
  • "I do not have to be fully healed to be fully worthwhile."
This is the first step in being able to recognize and learn when my mind is feeding me thoughts that are unhealthy to my progress.  The best way to manage it is to question it, bring those questions to my therapist and psychiatrist then put a plan together that will lead me to positive self-care.  

Practicing the above keeps me living in the here and now.  I need to stay in the present so that my mind doesn't get stuck in the past where a lot of bad things happened.  If I stay in the past, I miss out on what God wants to give me today.

And who wants to do that?