About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Temptation - 1 Cor 10:13

This morning I woke up still feeling sad.  I remembered God always provided a way out when we are being tempted to do something that is harmful to ourselves or others.  Here's the verse:

1 Corinthians 10:13  "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

When I think about my mental illness, the temptation that takes over me, at that moment I'm not thinking about it being "what is common to man."  I'm thinking about how messed up my cognitive reasoning and feelings are compared to some of the good days I experience.

It's not until I am able to think better that I remember what I'm going through is "common to mankind."  The word "mankind" creates an image in my head of all the people in history who have fought the same fight but did not lose the battle.

"God is faithful."  He's faithful when I am in the fight for my life.  He's faithful when I am enjoying a slice of heaven on earth.  He is faithful in all things, all the time.  With his faithfulness I have someone to reach out to and hold onto no matter what state the illness is in.

"God will not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear.  But when I am tempted, he will also provide a way out so that I can endure it."  I often hear people say/write, "God never gives us more than we can handle."  I've never read that in the bible.  I've only read the above.  

I know God has allowed temptation into my life to strengthen my faith and to recognize temptation so that I can immediately protect myself in the armor of God (Ephesians 6).  I've experienced him providing a way out by speaking to me through the holy spirit when I've had a cutting plan and the first aid laid out in front of me.  He sent a message through his spirit, that I've followed and benefited from greatly.

Right now is a time of mourning.  Not just for a suicide that has touched me but for my own temptations that are still alive inside of me.  I've asked God to take those away but he hasn't. 

He must have a higher purpose beyond my understanding.