About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, August 11, 2014

Everyday Friend

I have a friend who is financially blessed.  She is someone I spend a lot of time with because we are both on disability and live close to one another.  Most of the time I'm not bothered by it.  Other days, like today, I am.

It's not that she does anything wrong.  She's generous to a fault.  In fact, I had to tell her that when I borrow money I need to pay it back for my own self-esteem. When things were really tight and an emergency bill would come up, she would pay it and give me ample time to pay it back. I've paid back every dollar every time.

The problem is me.  I don't have the financial freedom she does.  I live tight because that's how it is.  I can't get what I want every time I go to a food store.  I can't keep going to stores, even if they're thrift stores.  I can't pay for the gas to go to all these places.  I can't buy new dvds every week when new ones are being released.  I can't eat out all the time.

Lately, I keep focusing on what I don't have.  I know that waving my fist at God but for some reason I'm not content with what I've been given.  It's as if I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Gratefully, I have a regular check being deposited every month.

Bottom line:  I wish life weren't so hard.  I wish my disability check stretched to cover more expenses.  I wish I didn't feel cheated; like somehow I'd been robbed of something I deserved.

My friend means more to me than money.  There are days I'd be lost without her.  We laugh a lot, go to movies (something I was able to add to my budget) and yes, we go shopping.  I'd miss her if she weren't here.

Yes, I'd miss her.