About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, January 09, 2015

Bill Cosby, PhD

I grew up in a house where Saturday morning cartoons were the highlight of our week.  It kicked off our weekend.  Our parents were still sleeping so I climbed onto the counter to get the cereal boxes and bowls, dug around for spoons and I carefully poured the milk since I was the oldest.  We'd sit in front of the little TV in our pajamas, hair not brushed and then we'd be transported into cartoon land.

Our living room had a built in bookcase which now, looking back on it, was a very nice one.  My dad's phonograph was mounted into it as were his speakers.  He and my mom's records were neatly stacked on the bottom right shelf.  I remember them pulling out records and playing them whenever they were working around the house or we had company.  I can still remember some of the artists they listened to.

One evening, my dad asked the three of us into the living room because he had something he wanted us to listen to.  I couldn't have been more than ten years old.  He really played it up because we were amped up with excitement.  He'd put a record onto his phonograph and was getting ready to play it.  I had no idea it was going to take my imagination on a journey of being scared and then laughing so hard.

It was a record where Bill Cosby tells the story about the Chicken Heart.  The Chicken Heart that ate up New York City.  My dad dimmed the lights and we were kneeling against the back of the couch so that we were facing the speakers.  My mom was there, too, and I seem to recall she was a little hesitant about us hearing this story.

I listened intently and yes, I got scared up to the point of the mashed potatoes and then I started laughing.  I think my sisters had the same reaction.  We ate mashed potatoes a lot so picturing that as a way to deter monsters made complete sense to us.

As I've grown up, that memory brings warmth to my spirit.  It's one of the few I have with my Dad being less drunk.  There was no violence afterward.  We were a "normal" family.

I've had copies of that album on cassette.  It's called "Bill Cosby - Wonderfulness."  It's my favorite out of all the other ones.  Here's the Chicken Heart monologue:





Transition,

I know these days he's being accused of rape and other sexual allegations. As a survivor of sexual abuse I know how hard it is to give voice to what's happened to you.  Still, there are a few things that are really bothering me:

  1. Why has it taken so long for people to come forward?
  2. Why is everyone coming forward all at once?
  3. The Prosecutor isn't filing any charges so now what?
  4. Why are people protesting his shows?
  5. If he did commit these acts and is in denial, I know when he stands before God, it will be brought into the light because God brings all sin out of the darkness into the light.  God alone will judge him.
It's my hope that everyone who is personally affected by any of these allegations receive the professional help they need so that they can have some sort of closure from all of this.  It's a big mess and one that needs to be cleaned up quickly and thoroughly.  

My heart goes out to all of you.