About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

God's Plan In Depression

If it weren't for pushing myself to become involved in a not-for-profit that is not Christ centered, I don't know where I would be today.  For so long I sheltered myself in Christian organizations. Each of them showed me more about how God wired me up, the natural gifts He gave me, the talents He wove into the fabric of my being and the little subtleties of imperfections that pop up here and there to remind me that I haven't arrived in the land of perfection.

One of my faux pas is I say something stupid at each meeting. Every meeting.  I hear a movie line in my head but when I deliver it I'm the only one who knows the reference. The ladies around the tables roll their eyes as if to say, "There she goes again."  Yup, there I go again.

I've decided to shut up.  The movie references are only funny to someone who has seen the movie and found that same line funny.  Not many people find the same lines funny.

So the depression continues.  I struggled all day to make sure I could function tonight.  The shaking was so bad I could barely fold the registration forms.  Thankfully the lady next to me needed more to fold.

I don't want to talk to anyone or be seen by anyone.  I want to sleep on the couch.  I want to stay by myself and not be bothered.  I have some things to do for the non-profit I'm a part of.  Thankfully I can do it at home by myself and communicate by email.

I wish I could talk to Faith.  I could use another session.  But they don't do twice a week.

Dr. Didenko wants to hospitalize me to get the meds fixed.  Can't do that a week away from the major non-profit event.  Besides, I really don't want to go there.

Cope:  Movies, Barney Miller, rest, do what has to be done, ask God for help.