About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Keep on Writing

My mind is swimming with topics for my book.  Pieces of my life that haven't yet been recorded that are fresh in my mind.  How will I ever get this finished?

Lord, give me clear recollection and steady typing hands so that I can purge the past out of my mind and onto your potter's wheel where you can remove the mire and shape the whole of this creation into the perfect and complete form you have purposed it to be.

Oh, God my Father, gaze upon my little girl's shattered spirit, with your eyes so tender, filled with tears, and cheeks stained with sorrow, for the many hurts her small mind did not understand, for the many hurts her small body could not stop, for the grief and sorrow You felt, not being able to stop it.

Having that picture in my mind of where I was, who entered the room, the time of day, dissociating so I see myself hovering over the bed.  Very clear.

Others just as clear but different.
Different people.
Different locations.
Same - being told what to do.
Same - being asked questions.
Different - reason for bleeding

Not sure what else to write.

In fourth grade I had two friends and we were at the same grade school.  One day during fourth grade, a big scale was rolled in and everyone had to be weighed.  One of my friends was in front of me so I heard her weight then it was my turn.  I really didn't think anything of this until after school.

I'm in line for the bus when my other friend (and hers) comes up to me and accuses me of telling everyone our friend's weight.  I deny this but it doesn't matter.  My friend threatens to beat me up if whatever happens.  I didn't argue, I didn't keep eye contact with her - I thought to myself, "You have no idea what I'm dealing with at home.  I can beat the living crap out of you."

Here's the thing:  By 4th grade, I already have a split personality, I'm pulling my hair out of my head.  I'm numb to any feelings, I'll defend myself and my family against whoever is a threat, I can stare you down like you won't believe, don't make a threat unless you're ready to pay the price.

Here's the feeling:  Rage

Hindsight:  Keeping silent was the best decision I made.  I might have looked cowardice but behind that kitten was a lion.