About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Who To Tell Your Diagnosis To

When I started my GoFundMe campaign, I believed telling the truth was the best decision.  After all, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I am encouraged to be a truth teller so long as I do it respectfully and in His love.  I believed in my heart that saying I had mental illness and more specifically bipolar depression would serve as a reason why I was on disability.  I felt I needed to explain myself so that it didn't look like I was financially irresponsible or mooching off of my friends or the public.

The first couple of days went okay.  I told a little bit of my story and then something happened.  I had a day when the bipolar depression hit my psyche.  I thought, "Wow!  I could record this video so people can see what bipolar depression looks like for me."  I pressed the record button and this is what I said:



I thought it was really good because:
  1. I stayed focused on the lens
  2. I did not garble my words
  3. My message was clear and concise
But that's not what a member of my family and a close friend said.  They didn't like it, each for their own reasons which they freely told me.

I felt hurt.  I felt judged.  I felt embarrassed for having recorded and posted it.  I felt ashamed of having bipolar.  I was encouraged to remove it.   I did and I never should have.

I was asked why I posted that video.  It was to educate people about bipolar depression.  Neither of these people who shared their opinion have ever seen me this way.  No one has.  I stay inside my house on days like this, lay on the couch and wait for it to pass.  It lasts for days at a time so I'm safest by myself.  I don't want people to see me but then again, I have nothing to be ashamed of.

It's my choice who I tell, why I tell and how I tell.  But I have to be wise in each of those.  I tell those who are closest to me.  I tell them because they love me and want to help.  How I tell them is gently as I'm shaking a bit with anxiety.

Maybe taking the video off the GoFundMe page was a good idea.  All I know is that taking it down was taking down a part of me.  

I guess, in some circumstances, keeping my diagnosis a secret is a good thing.