About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, November 07, 2014

Sexual Abuse and the Forever Scars

Forever Scars.

They tell me that one day the memories will fade,
The shadows of my dad walking across the room,
And the touches of he and others on my body will go away.


They say those memories are kept alive until I
Let go of the pain they caused,
Let go of the emotional sadness I felt,
Let go of the physical trauma I couldn't stop.

Forever Scars.

They make it sound as if I'm the one causing it to linger,
I'm the one wanting to relive it,
I'm the one who doesn't want to let go
Because it's familiar pain that somehow comforts me.

Forever Scars.

Sometimes I wonder if they are right.

But then I look at my life and this is what I see:

A strong woman who fought a legion of demons to stay alive.
A young girl who stood up to an alcoholic beast and did not back down.
A teenager who chose recovery instead of living with more abuse.
A twenty year old who gave her life to Jesus, trusting Him for everything.

Just because the intensity of having been sexually abused by multiple perpetrators resurfaces doesn't mean there's something wrong with me.  There's nothing wrong with me.  Just because someone thinks I'm doing this to myself doesn't mean they're right.  It's just their opinion.

These are Forever Scars.

Nobody has the right to tell me what is right or wrong for my recovery.  Unless I have asked someone what they think, even then, it's only their opinion.  God is the only one whose opinion I ultimately consider and believe.  He speaks through prayer, my writing, His people and His Word.

Sexual abuse leaves scars at all levels on a person's body and mentality.  Love them just the way they are.  Don't try to fix them.  Listen when they want to talk.  Don't rush to hug them.  Let them initiate touch because for them touch was often times hurtful.

Forever Scars.