About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, February 05, 2016

Rest

A word that means:  Calm, Comfort, Downtime, Ease, Idleness, Leisure, Nap, Peace, Quiet, Recreation, Refreshment, Relaxation, Silent, Slumber, Stillness and Tranquility.

Don't those sound like a wonderful place to be?  So when the Holy Spirit whispered that
I should rest and I asked for clarification, the rest He wanted me to have was not entirely based on sleep.  Sometimes, we're asked to rest amid the things God wants us to be actively pursuing.

Today I am resting in a bible study and in the beginning planning stages of my book.  The study is easily outlined with reading, looking up bible verses and writing how God is speaking to me.  It's teaching me how to have a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit and the fruit that comes out of it.

The book planning is a little more complicated.  That's going to take dedicated thought processing, prayer and obedience to what God wants me to do.  I know it will take energy so when I'm told to rest, I will do just that.

How does one discern what resting looks like?  The above list helps.  I found it on http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/rest?s=t.  I picked the words that made me feel calm inside.  Now I know which practices of rest I feel most attached to.  You might find it helpful to make a list for yourself.

I find when I'm busy, physically or mentally with emotions attached, I have to remind myself that rest does not need to be depression.  It can be a nap or writing or recreation or even feeling sad or happy.  Rest is a state of being.  A real presence when the soul needs some downtime.

What do you do for rest?

I love to watch movies, color, lay on my couch surrounded by my kitties, write, read, go to the library, spend time with family and/or a friend, take nature pictures and go for a walk in forest preserves or on nature paths.

Whatever relaxes me causes me to rest.
I'm trying to put rest into practice more often.