About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Out of the Cave

Out of the cave the first full day.  Stretched myself to attend a church function.  Stretched myself further by talking with someone about what happened to put me into the cave.  It was courageous on my part because it required talking through my feelings.  I'm learning to push the scary feelings away and talk through the fear with Jesus by my side.

The cave was wonderful and provided the perfect environment to work out triggers and identify the feeling of intimacy that I felt.  Being physically (not sexually) close to someone is trust on roller skates.  Sometimes I'm skating to the music and other times I fall to the ground.  Today I learned falling is part of learning how to stand up and skate, even if I'm holding onto the wall.

At church this morning, our Senior Pastor gave a presentation about the direction we're heading in.  Our time together included this Psalm.  We were encouraged to use the quiet time for prayer, worship or any other way we wanted to connect to God.  I felt led to personalize Psalm 1:1-3.

The NIV version:  "Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.  That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers."

My version: Dear God, I am blessed because I walk in your steps, I delight in you - your strength and your firm foundation.  I think about you day and night!  Help me Jesus, to keep you in front of what and how much I eat.  The evil one delights in my stronghold.  Let him be put to shame.  I desire to be planted, learning to live fully in your streams of living water.  May I bear fruit that is pleasing to Your eye and withstand the necessary pruning.  May I turn to you instead when I want to wither away and die.  All prosperity belongs to you!  Love Amy

Being out of the cave brings me into relationship with others.  Three of my favorite women were part of my morning.  From each of them, I received affirmation and hugs.  To each of them I gave my undivided attention and hugs.  Relationships are where we give and receive.

My cave is a secret place where only God and I meet.  For whatever reason, this form of isolation helps.  But it's not for everyone.