About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Staying Grounded

These hard days are taking a toll on my body, relationships and mood.  It's not just the mind that gets tired and starts to wander.  I get migraines when I'm dealing with a lot of known and unknown feelings.  Yesterday was no exception.

One of the ways I don't deal with a crowd of people is to slide in and sprint out.  That's what I did at church on Sunday.  Technically I was there but I was about as far as I could be, mentally.  The body made it to the chair and the brain flitted in and out.

Last night I was preparing to drive home.  I answered a text message before putting the car into gear.  It was very foggy - a dense fog.  I knew the way home was going to be without street lights most of the way.  One of my fears is being side swiped or hit head on.  But I had to get home.

Dealing with stress is stressful.  I know myself well enough (not perfectly) to be able to talk myself through almost anything.  Since I'd had a full blown panic attack four days ago, I knew I didn't want to have that happen again.

As I was driving and listening to a Christian CD my favorite song was playing and I zoned out.  Not good being in dense fog and brainless.  The Holy Spirit brought this to mind:  Ground yourself.

Ah, that I knew how to do.  He guided me by having me squeeze my hands on the steering wheel a few times, tap each foot separately onto the floor or the gas pedal, sit up and push my shoulders into my back which caused a few pops, roll my head and my neck cracked and then squeeze my booty so I can feel it on the seat.

By the time I was finished I felt more alert.  I kept telling myself to stay grounded just like they teach at Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital.  We'd have our feet on the ground and then use our 5 senses.  For example, while I was driving I looked for five objects.

Floating away is a big deal.  God will toss out a life preserver through the Holy Spirit.  In fact, when I was deciding whether or not to call upon the Holy Spirit in the car, I said to myself, "I'm supposed to have a relationship with Him so I can ask for help because Priscilla Shirer said that's what I'm supposed to do."  So, I did it.

I arrived home safely.