About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

When God Gives An Assignment

I'm working on a project for someone in our small group.  It's a privilege to use my gifts and talents to brighten a gloomy place in the life of someone I care about.  That's when I started thinking about it.

God has never given me an assignment then abandoned me to do it by myself.  It's not in His nature.  He stays available to help, advise, show and bring others to assist every time I ask Him.  Many times I'm so perplexed I don't know what words to say to get what I need.  That's when I remember Jesus and the Holy Spirit are praying for me when I can't figure it out.

I've added a dear friend to, from time to time, look at the structure and some of the content format of how I'm writing my book.  She is someone who can pray specifically (or ask Jesus) for guidance as I write.

There are parts of my story I don't want to write.  I feel physically sick when I see the words then I quickly turn the pages for what seems an eternity.  Those will be hard.

But then there's hope.  Hope in healing, hope in memories no longer controlling your thoughts, hope of friends who truly love you whom you don't have to put through a test, hope for the end of addictions and self-injury, hope for mental illness to be correctly diagnosed and medicated, hope for a sound and well-balanced therapist and hope for a brighter future.

I will be writing about that, too.

I snuck this same friend an index card that reads:  God will never let you go.

Those are for the times when lies get into our thoughts and we need to be reminded how valuable we are to God.  After all, He created us in His image.  He gave us gifts and talents.  He wants to have a personal relationship with us through His Son, Jesus.

It doesn't get any better than that no matter how much abuse I survived by how many people who perpetrated it for how many years it lasted

God never stopped loving me,
He always will see me as valuable.
He sees you that way, too!