About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, September 28, 2013

A God Day

2 Cor 3:18 "And we, who with unveiled faces reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

It's a good day.   I did not have insomnia last night.   I slept 9 hours!   I was able to get up with a little bit of energy.  Ate a balanced breakfast and lunch.  Got out of the house for a few hours.   No SI urges - at all.
  
It's important to have these kinds of days.  Though they may be few and far between, days of functionality are important to this person in recovery.  I know it is a gift from God.  After all, He created this day, He created me and just for today I can receive His gift of life.

I am a witness that God is in the business of transformation.  I am not the same person I was four years ago never mind 20 years ago or more.  I am very glad.  The person I used to be was looking to others for validation, acceptance, meaning and love.  I was codependent, actively drinking, a Christian - yes - but very mixed up inside.  In a lot of ways I was so lost.

When I heard about God's invitation to be in a forever relationship with Him through Jesus, I wondered why He would want me.  Think about it.  Here's God, all powerful, all knowing, wanting a relationship with me.  He knew how broken I was and how desperately I needed His healing.  He also knew I was on the road to being separated from Him and that Jesus was my only hope.

After a few months of authenticating that message, it was made clear to me that indeed, He was pursuing me.  Not for His gain, but for mine.  It was 26 years ago this month that I began that journey of unshakable faith.  My church, Willow Creek Community Church, has been instrumental in my faith development and depth. 

A God day.  One that is filled with thoughts of Him and His provision.  That's how I want all my days to be - even on the more difficult days.  Especially on the more difficult days.