About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, September 27, 2013

It Took Three Hours

In recovery, I've been asked, "How far are you willing to go to get better?" Some days I'm willing to go the extra mile.  Other days rolling out of bed and putting my feet on the floor is a small miracle.

This morning the depression and SI urges were winning the battle.  I gave all my worries to God.  Then I distracted myself by surfing the Internet, writing, listening to music and BAM!  Suddenly I felt my mood get lighter and dare I say, a bit happier?

 I'm committed to letting God make me into a new person who can:
  1. Manage the impulses
  2. Dissuade irrational thoughts
  3. Ask for help
  4. Not let emotions take over
  5. Select  something from my supply of coping skills
Whew!  I'm proud of myself.  Recovery isn't easy.  With four years of sobriety and almost two months of resisting SI urges, I can proclaim it's well worth the fight.  

Only God!

A cool video I watched from the movie, "Pitch Perfect."   This version is not in the movie.